The YWCA Girls Center provides inner-city girls from Lawrence ages 5 to 17 the direction to experience success and build the confidence, skills and perseverance that allow them to make healthy, safe choices in adolescence and later in life, as well.
Led by our experienced staff, Girls Center programs combine learning, exploration and celebration – all to help girls build the academic, physical and social skills that lead to success. Girls may enroll in a variety of age-appropriate after-school, summer and evening programs year round.
After School and Summer Opportunities include:
- Girls-only activities including swimming and other sports, summer field trips and opportunities to meet female community leaders;
- Prevention programs to help girls avoid dangerous or unhealthy behaviors, develop healthy relationships and gain leadership skills;
- Girls Lead, a program for middle-school-age girls attending Lawrence Public Schools founded on the principle of “self leadership,” which means gaining the strength to say no to negative peer pressure and how to set and follow personal goals;
- Introduction to technology and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) programming;
- Face-to-Face, our new one-week girls-only summer camp experience at Camp Y-Wood, in conjunction with Girls Inc. of New Hampshire. Face-to-Face combines traditional camp activities such as swimming and kayaking with an exploration of issues of importance to adolescent girls, such as how to navigate social media, avoid peer pressure and make the best kind of choices.
Girls Center participants are often joined by their families to celebrate accomplishments, explore new skills or enjoy a little family fun at the YWCA. Mother/Daughter nights are an uplifting way for moms to strengthen connections and open the lines of communication with their teen-age daughters. And the whole family is invited to the annual awards ceremony, where girls are recognized for accomplishing the goals they’ve set during the year.
For more information, contact Maricelis Ortiz, or at 978.687.0331 x1047.